Tuesday 16 October 2012

Chipotle Asian Chicken


When I started this blog, I promised you both traditional and non-traditional taco recipes. But since I was just getting started, I tried to focus on more "real" Mexican tacos. Trying to build my street cred and whatnot. Then just the other day, I ended up with a couple leftover chicken breast filets (after making a delicious chicken parmesan - see, I do eat other things). So I decided to take a look in my cupboards and whip up something based on what I found. 

I had many Asian-inspired sauces left over from a former adventure in Vietnamese cooking, so I decided to combine them into a marinade. Then I threw in some chipotle peppers, because my personal motto is "give me spicy food or give me death (possibly from spicy food)." 

So behold: Chipotle Asian Chicken. The toppings are also based on what I had in the fridge, but I would definitely recommend them. 



Chipotle Asian Chicken Recipe

Serves: 12 tacos             Prep time: 1 hr              Cook time: 6 min

6 chicken breast fillets (if using full breasts, adjust cook time)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup lime juice
3 chipotle pepper
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp ginger
1 garlic clove
1/4 cup cilantro
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 tbsp honey
Lime crema
Sriracha
Red cabbage
Red onion 

Marinate It

Finely mince the garlic. Combine garlic with the liquid and powder ingredients into a bowl and whisk together to create the marinade. Submerge the chicken in the marinade, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Grill It 

Heat a cast-iron skillet on high. Transfer the chicken to the skillet and enjoy the sizzle (maybe open a window...). Cook the chicken on each side for 3 minutes - enough to get a little blackening on the outside.

Serve It

Cut the chicken lengthwise into strips 1/2 inch wide. Slap 2 strips onto a warm corn tortilla and top with  red cabbage, red onions (I'm sticking with the purple theme), lime crema, Sriracha and cilantro. Basically top it with whatever you'd like and call it the "leftovers special." 

No comments:

Post a Comment