Friday 7 December 2012

Elote (Mexican Corn on the Cob)



What a week. I've been sick as a dog, but luckily I got in this little treat before illness sneaked up and hit me like a sack of potatoes (or a sack of limes?). I know, I know - this isn't a taco. But sometimes, like your surrogate blog mother, I think it's important for you to eat your vegetables. Though I do advocate smearing cheesy goodness all over them before consumption. So alongside your daily taco, please enjoy elote - or Mexican corn on the cob. This is a great snack to serve at picnics or as a different sort of appetizer. The best way to cook it is in the husk - that way you have a natural handle when it comes time to chow down. But since it's not exactly corn season, I had to settle for half a husk (aka how corn comes packaged in plastic). So enjoy a little street food and get your daily serving of vegetables OR I WILL TURN THIS CAR AROUND (I'm basically your mother now).  


Elote Recipe

Serves: 4                  Prep Time: 5 min                  Cook Time: 15 min

4 Corn Ears
1 tablespoon margarine
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup cotija cheese (or feta cheese)
1 lime
Chipotle chili powder to taste

Grill It


Heat grill to medium-high. Slather the corn cobs with margarine. Mix the mayonnaise and cheese together in a separate bowl. Place the corn on the BBQ, and close the lid. Flip every 3-4 minutes as the corn browns, for a total time of about 15 minutes. Remove from the grill and slather with the mayonnaise and cheese mixture. Dust with chili powder and squirt with lime to taste.

Or Broil It

Heat oven to broil. Slather the corn cobs with margarine. Place the corn on a cookie sheet about 5 inches under the broiler. Turn every 2-3 minutes for a total time of 10 minutes. The rest is the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment