Tuesday 17 September 2013

Filipino Chicken Adobo


Things that I have: a job with long hours and a passion for travel. Things that I don't have: the money to make all my wildest travel dreams come true. Pardon my tiny violin, but I just wanted to illustrate how I often use this blog as a means of "traveling" - without all that pesky cost that's associated with real traveling.

I like to make international foods I've never tried before, so when I came across a recipe for Filipino Chicken Adobo I was intrigued. Way back in the day my father worked on a cruise ship and many of his coworkers were Filipino - but I never got the chance to sample their wares. And boy, what a missed opportunity that was. This chicken is flipping delicious - tangy, peppery, loaded with flavour and easy above all! The Philippines is now on my travel radar. 




Filipino Chicken Adobo Recipe

2 lbs chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup soy sauce
2 tbps black peppercorn
5 cloves garlic
2 tsp brown sugar
2 bay leaves

Corn tortillas
Pineapple salsa
Cilantro

Prep It

Crush the black peppercorn, mince the garlic and cube the chicken thighs into 1 inch chunks. Combine all ingredients into a pot and let sit for 3 hours.

Cook It

Heat stove on high and transfer pot to stove. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Uncover and increase heat to almost medium (like, a 4/10). Cook for another 20 minutes until the sauce has reduced to almost nothing and the chicken is so tender it's breaking apart easily.

Plate It

Place a heaping spoonful of the chicken in a warm corn tortilla, then top with pineapple salsa and cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment